Long-Form Video Content
Long-form video content on YouTube is typically in a 16:9 video ratio and is more than 3 minutes long. It requires more time and effort to create, but the payoff can be significant. Long-form content is an investment in your brand and can lead to loyal fans who know, like, and trust you.
Pros of Long-Form Video Content:
- Builds loyal fans who know, like, and trust you: Long-form content allows you to connect with your audience on a deeper level, building trust and loyalty.
- Significantly better revenue and sales for your products: Long-form videos give you the time and space to showcase your products or services, making them more attractive to potential customers.
- Can get discovered on search engines months and years later - both on desktop and mobile: Long-form videos have a longer shelf life and can continue to bring in views and revenue for months and even years after they're posted.
Cons of Long-Form Video Content:
- Video creation takes more time and effort to make: Long-form videos require more planning, filming, and editing, making the process more time-consuming.
- Views are gained slower: Long-form videos take longer to gain views and traction on the platform.
Short-Form Video Content
Short-form video content on YouTube is typically in a 9:16 video ratio and is less than 60 seconds long. It's fast and easy to make, and you can get "views" lightning fast.
Pros of Short-Form Video Content:
- Videos are fast and easy to make: Short-form videos can be filmed and edited quickly, allowing brands to produce more content in less time.
- Great for conveying bite-sized information quickly: Short-form videos are ideal for delivering quick, easy-to-digest information to viewers.
- Great for selling simple products/gadgets: Short-form videos can be used to showcase simple products or gadgets, making them more appealing to potential customers.
- Can be repurposed on other social media platforms like TikTok and Instagram: Short-form videos can be repurposed on other social media platforms, increasing their reach and exposure.
Cons of Short-Form Video Content:
- Bad at driving revenue for products or services with medium to large basket sizes —> Short-form videos are not as effective at generating revenue for products or services unless they are simple and have a small basket size.
- Weak at building fan loyalty: Short-form videos are less likely to build loyal fans who know, like, and trust you.
- Shorter shelf life: Short-form videos tend to have a shorter shelf life and can become irrelevant quicker than long-form content.
- Only gets discovered on mobile views of Google search
Combining Short & Long Videos
Some experts believe that YouTube Shorts can serve as a bridge to long-form video content. However, this is rarely the case in reality.
While bridges may be constructed, it does not guarantee that viewers will transition to long-form content. Instead, successful Shorts tend to attract a distinct audience who may be less engaged, harder to monetize, and more dismissive towards long-form content. In essence, Shorts tend to build a Shorts-specific audience rather than being a gateway to long-form content.
Both long-form and short-form video content have their pros and cons. Long-form video content requires more time and effort to create but can lead to loyal fans and better revenue for your products or services. Short-form video content is fast and easy to make and can quickly generate views, but it's not as effective at driving revenue or building fan loyalty. Creators should choose the format that best suits their goals and audience, and may even choose to incorporate both formats into their content strategy.